Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: ]

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Final Connection!!, Tippet diameter to Hook size.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Sage Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2007,21:49  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whilst with a group of fishing friends on the Creek... I was shocked to learn the sizes of the tippet being used.. All were different .
   a       8lb........# 16
   b       6lb.........#12
   c        5lb.........#18
   d       4lb.........#12
All in the same creek about 800 m apart..
I think some were expecting to haul a big 6lb fish out.
akin to using a crane,,,

The fly sizes then selected were all different some I thought too big for the tippet diameter.
 I know we can do what we like, but some were a bit big for the job!!!!
 I suppose it would be boring if we were all the same!

Any comments?
 Mac
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Dave A Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2007,22:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Must confess I'm one of those who use a heavier tippet as I use 6lb fluro exclusively with hook size 12-16.
Maybe the NI fish aren't as smart as the SI ones as I still hook enough fish to keep me  :D  :D
I like the security when fishing fast bouldery runs or pools where the cliffs etc mean if you want to land the fish you've got to keep it in the pool or lose it if it does a runner down river.

--------------
Dave A

I spend some of my life flyfishing - the rest I just waste!
 Post Number: 3
Sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2007,14:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dave. I also move between 5lb-6lb Fluro..  hooks are mainly
 Nos. 12.14.16.18.
and on a 6lb line in the big river its Nos 8.10.12..

It made me think though, the bigest fish I expected to see
was 5lb...but more in the 2 1/2lb -3 1/2lb... so why all the heavy wt.gear? poss because they wanted to return the fish quickly..Iam being kind now.   It was possibly the fact that they would have hated to let a fish beat them!
I see also some hook tables quote:-

5X    5lb..................12, 14,16, .....18
 4X     6lb...................12,14, 16,.....16
 3X     8lb....................8, 10, 12,   ....14

Mac
 Post Number: 4
upstream Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2007,14:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That table sounds about right to me.

I pretty much use 4X for most of my fishing, except my 4X is 8lbs!  :D I use mostly flies in the #12 to #16 range. I do go to 5X on small streams when my fies will be 14s to 18s.

But there are one or 2 rivers that I occassionally fish that demand 3X due to the size and fighting ability of the fish. The flies I use here are usually 10 or 12.
 Post Number: 5
Johnno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2007,17:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depends entirely on where I am fishing at the time, the type of water, size of fish, what the fly is I'm using etc etc etc.  

Small streams most likely to be 3 - 4 lbs max for #16 - 22, sometimes it may even be 2.5 lbs but thats rare.  Larger waters (eg the Motueka) likely to be down to 4 lbs for smaller flies but sometimes 5 or 6 or maybe even up to 7 or 8 lbs on some kick arse waters.  Lakeside stalking is likely to be between 4 and 7lbs.  Harling and drifting maybe 5 to 8 pounds depending on where etc.  Night fishing usually 9 to 12 lbs or maybe even more.  

Just depends on where, what, when, how  etc etc etc.  No set hard and fast rule.

--------------
"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed"
-John Gierach
 Post Number: 6
jomeder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2007,21:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

At Lake Lyndon at the end of least season I was experimenting with using three flies on droppers with about 5 feet between them. Because of the mileage of tippet involved ( way too expensive using flouro, or even PowerFlex ) I was using 6 lb Maxima for first section and 5 lb for the next two. This let me fish pretty deep under a dry on the top dropper, and I was having some success. One day I ran out of 5 lb and so was stuck with 6 lb right through. 6 lb Maxima is pretty indelicate stuff :-). I had a size 16 PTN on point and the knot was almost as big as the fly ! I thought this might be the end of my fishing for the day, but I ended up getting my largest fish from Lake Lyndon to date ( 4 lb ), as well as a couple of others.

Regards,

Jo
 Post Number: 7
Kakahi Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2007,22:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just about always use 4lb. When I get snagged on something it takes a hell of a lot of pressure to pop it. It will go a lot easier with a sudden jerk, but if you keep the rod tip high, you should aviod that. I guess there is an issue with setting the hook with heavier guage hooks, but I don't seem to have too many problems.
If the fish are making a habit of running into the weed, I'll go heavier.

--------------
Secret Creek photos
 Post Number: 8
Tore Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2007,23:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anybody tried the new Rio Extreme tippet? 10lbs for 5x is pretty impressive!
(Funny how you guys talk about diameter in the form of lbs...)
 Post Number: 9
NZCicada Search for posts by this member.
Make mine Dry!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2007,07:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't believe Kiwi's are so slow to adopt the X system. The lb's system is meaningless unless everyone is using the same brand of tippet. The X system brings it to diameter, diameter to hook size has relevance, breaking strain, from a presentation point of view is meaningless.

Early season I use 3 X, even back country... as the season progresses I drop to 4X and 5X if fish force me to. Now dependant on breaking strain, while all the same diameter, there could be poundage discrepancies in that of a pound or two but the diameter (the only important information really) is the same.

The X system if adopted will make you a better angler because you start to really concentrate on what certain size (diameter) tippets do tot he drift of certain size flies. These days until we get to 6X (Which usually rates around 3 lb these days) we are not really getting into tippets that should break under normal usage so having the right breaking strain is a bit meaningless... having the right diameter to get the correct drift will make all the difference in the world in some circumstances.

--------------
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
Umpqua Signature Tier
Fly Fishing Raconteur
Saltwater Fly New Zealand
Clark Reid's Fly-fishing and Fly-tying World
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
jomeder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2007,10:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Clark,

Maxima doesn't even have an X rating on the spool. I guess because if it did it would appear to be at a serious disadvantage :-).

For myself, I look at the tippet to decide if it's what I want to use. For example, on the lakes when I'm a bit worried about the thickness of Maxima ( when fishing shallow ), I'll use PowerFlex which is thinner. If I'm really worried and want the tippet to sink a bit I'll use flouro. If I'm worried about suppleness and want a more of a collapsing presentation then I'll use PowerFlex, which probably isn't the greatest for that, but it's the thinnest supplest stuff I carry. I suppose I go by the thickness, for X rated stuff the smallest I have is 4X, but what I consider is the actual thickness and stiffness. The breaking strain itself isn't so important, everything I have is probably 5 lb or more and therefore sufficient. I'm sure most people make these same sorts of decisions, just because we don't talk X doesn't mean we aren't thinking :-).

Regards,

Jo
48 replies since Nov. 07 2007,21:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Final Connection!!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code