Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Casting without false casts.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ThomasW Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012,20:46  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently changed my fly line (to a Rio Gold), and discovered I can now lift and easily cast 40-50ft of line without any false casts (assuming its already out).   I rarely do any fishing further then 50ft so that suits me just fine.

This got me thinking, while it makes things easy, is it actually good technique to lift and cast the entire line all at once without any (or minimal) false casts? By doing that would I be developing bad habits which might came back to haunt me at a later date?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Quentin Forster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012,20:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im no expert mate but if you can put it out again where you want it in one lift all the better. The more time your fly is out there the better chance you have of catching that fish. False casting is not fishing!
 Post Number: 3
Chris Dore Search for posts by this member.
Play hard!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012,21:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you can do it without spooking fish, then yeah, theres less movement and you put the fly in front of the fish sooner.

Practise a long, slow lift and as the line / leader junction is about to leave the water squeeze the hand into the backcast. This is also the time to employ your zippy downward haul. If there is slack line in the system, maybe look toward a dynamic lift such as the spiral or snap lift.

Good practise is to set a few targets on the grass at different angles / distance and practise picking up from one and without false casting, set it down at another.

Also set one at right angles to you and practise picking up from here (simulating picking up from a downstream position) and using either a single spey or maybe a snake roll if the line is hanging down your casting side, picking up and delivering again at random targts upstream / across from you.

As long as you maintain good form throughout, then there can be no bad habits.

Watch your tracking. Changing of direction into the backcast must be smooth and facilitate a straight line path of the forward cast direct to your target.

Have fun.

--------------
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
ThomasW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012,22:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think with fewer false casts, and line in the air, there is less line flash so I am scaring less fish... at least I been catching more and spooking less since I got the new line.
 Post Number: 5
Quentin Forster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012,22:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you think the line makes a difference you should seriously consider a freestone rod. :p
 Post Number: 6
Tore Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2012,00:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to fish for searuns in the salt like that. With a shooting head setup. Fished it all the way to my feet, one roll cast to get the line out of the water, one back cast that you shoot to get the head out of the tip and then "ka-bang" out she goes.
For blindfishing it's important to keep the fly in the water. But for sight fishing I think accuracy and delicacy are the key ingredients. No need to stress your cast in those scenarios.
5 replies since Apr. 09 2012,20:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll