Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who'd like to learn to double haul online?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Chris Dore Search for posts by this member.
Play hard!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2006,18:09  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If we get a bit of interest, I'll put in the time to teach all interested through this forum. We'll start by running a few drills to get things going, and then get into the fun stuff!
Whos keen?

--------------
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
scottrods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2006,20:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about we arrange a pre season meet at somewhere like MacKenzie country and have a go together?

--------------
Jonathan

www.overland.co.nz 4x4 hire 4 NZ

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>¸.
•´¯`•.¸. , . ><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Play hard!

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2006,21:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

that could also be done - some september fishing around benmore is always a lot of fun

--------------
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
 Post Number: 4
Kano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2006,22:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

North island here and would love to try a few things out chris
 Post Number: 5
Play hard!

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2006,22:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No worries Kano, lets do this!
Who else is keen?

chris

--------------
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
 Post Number: 6
Teach Search for posts by this member.
Oops

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2006,21:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah i would be keen. Got to keep one step ahead of my schoolboys.
By the way, chris, got  a few quite keen on a trip to Glenorchy and up the Caples for their camp. We are just fishing the Caples now, with a day either side where I want to fish the mouth of the Dart or Rees.
 Post Number: 7
Play hard!

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2006,22:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mark, How are you.

Yep, Im getting the numbers keen to get into this double hauling thing, watch this space. When we get into it, Il try and post a little bit each day, so all can go over it and practise the drills etc, and get a good feeling for their cast, and the implementation of the haul.

Did you say you are up the caples now?
A mate of mine was up there today. had a lot of fun.
Try the greenstone mouth, ot the dart mouth. walking along the beach from kinlock you will come to a spring creek mouth. theres often a few fish crusing off there as well early morning.
txt me if you get a chance

chris

--------------
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
 Post Number: 8
Col Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2006,22:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep I sure would be keen.  Anything to outsmart these little critters :D

--------------
Every day above ground is a good day.
 Post Number: 9
Play hard!

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2006,23:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent Col.

I'd like some feedback, and any questions you may have as we go through this guys. Let me know how you're going with each step, so I know what and when to progress.

Right, lets start with a basic excercise.
Its all good and well to learn to double haul, but the fundamentals must be there.
Hauling introduces slack line into your cast, so your loop speed and technique should be good enough to counter this, and keep everything tight.

Physics of the overhead cast:
Line lies on the water. The lift is made with steady acceleration. This moves the line and breaks it free of the surface tension. rod tip is accelerated via butt rotation, and this pulls the flyline with it, flexing (loading) the rod. The stop is made.Rod tip straightens (unloads) adding extra velocity to the line. Line continues and passes the decelerating rod tip. As it passes it forms the loop. The loop continues backwards until it unfurls.

And now we pause.....

Once the line has straightened on the backcast we move the rod tip forward (slowley accelerated). This moves the line and bends (loads) the rod. Butt rotation accelerates the line into the stop. Line passes the rod tip and forms the loop. Loop straightens, and we lower the rod (follow through).

First drill.
With the rod alone, no line through the rings, I want you to flick the tip, forcing a bend in the rod tip. flick it! You are not waving the rod forward, instead with a crisp snap of the wrist, imparting a bend in the tip. If done correctly, you should feel a 'bounce' sensation. This is the unloading of stored energy in the blank, and should be felt in each and every cast you make. If you are not feeling this, you are probably holding the rod too tight.

The fundamentals of the overhead cast.
Practise this with rod hand only, line trapped beneath the index finger of your rod hand, your line hand in your pocket.Play with 10 metres of line.

1 the lift.
Start with your rod tip pointed to the ground, and pull all the slack out of your line. Now begin your lift. This should be a long, slowly accelerating movement.

2 rotation
As your rod approaches the verticle, accelerate via a crisp, upward flick of the wrist. Imagine you are trying to flick the line 'upwards', as opposed to behind, to ensure a high backcast. end your backcast with an abrupt 'stop', like hitting a brick wall. This abrupt stop creates a solid anchor point for the rod to unload (straighten) against, and is an essential element of any cast.

3 Pause
You must now pause, and wait for the line to straighten. This time will vary in accordance with the amount of line you are working with.

Your rod hand should now be level with your ear and positioned slightly outside of the elbow, thumb along the top of the handle pointing up.

4 The forward flick
Once the backcast has completely straightened, it is time to commence the forward movement. With a crisp, forward flick of the wrist, bring the rod forward. Imagine you are trying to flick a potatoe off a stick. If you power too early, the potato will fly off behine you, and if you power too late, it will thump down at your feet.
A positive stop and your loop should roll forward off the rod tip.

5 Follow through
As the loop unfurls in front of you and the line straightens, follow it gently to the water with the rod tip. This is your basic overhead cast.

The idea of the casting stroke is to utilize a smooth acceleration, with the rod tip moving at it fastest at the 'stop'.. Think of it as sitting at the lights in a van, all your mates in the back. When the lights turn green, if you step on the gas and speed forward, everyone will get thrown around in the back. Instead, you want to steadily accelerate, for a nice, smooth ride.

Tomorrow we will introduce a couple of techniques to tighten up your casting loops, and teach the importance of a variable casting arc, both essential to fly casting progression.

chris

--------------
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
 Post Number: 10
HerkDrvr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2006,03:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good Stuff,

I think I can do it okay...but I am self taught so I am sure my technique is horrible. Thanks Chris for taking the time to do pass along the info.

--------------
"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"
39 replies since May 30 2006,18:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll