» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Epoxy solvent??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Johnno Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2010,17:21  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have an early graphite rod I picked up that I'm going to restore to some vague degree of it's original glory.....   Anyway, someone has made some fairly crude repairs to a couple of bindings in the past and there are smears and lumps of epoxy on the rod that I want to be rid of.  

Anyone know of a solvent for epoxy or failing that a good way of removing these smears?  I was thinking of scraping but that may ruin the rod finish and raises the danger of cutting into or damaging the graphite...

???

--------------
"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed"
-John Gierach
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tore Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2010,19:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've just stripped my old 590 XP to do a complete refurbishment. For the really persistent lumps I heated them gently with a hot air gun and I used nail polish remover and a softish plastic spatula (and my nails...). I managed to get pretty much everything off. The rod is long retired, but man it will be one of the best looking blokes in the rest home  :) .
 Post Number: 3
Kym Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2010,19:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you tried denatured alcohol? If you can remove the outer layer of the old epoxy you can try to work the alcohol into the stuff below to soften it. if this doesn't work then a single edged razor blade or chipping away with something blunter like an old credit card (!?) can do the trick.
i've also been told that you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the old epoxy which makes it easier to remove but I've never been game to try it myself.

--------------
"Take me to the river." Al Green
 Post Number: 4
scottrods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2010,19:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What Tore said.

--------------
Jonathan

www.overland.co.nz 4x4 hire 4 NZ

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>¸.
•´¯`•.¸. , . ><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
 Post Number: 5
Johnno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2010,21:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thx fellas.  I'll give it a go

--------------
"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed"
-John Gierach
 Post Number: 6
iank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2010,11:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Johno, Different epoxies will soften at different temperatures ....some of the West system epoxies will soften a little over 100 degrees , but other epoxies are over 200. A heat gun is probably the first approach however.
cheers
Ian

--------------
iank
5 replies since Apr. 18 2010,17:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Epoxy solvent??
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code