Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Coming to SI Dec 3rd< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
showmecatfishing Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,11:20  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all!  My name is Ryan and I will be making the trip over from the St. Louis are of the US.  This trip kind of fell into my lap last week and it is something that has been on my bucket list for most of my life.  This will be my first trip to NZ and I am really excited and a bit overwhelmed.  I grew up fly fishing for trout and it is something that I don't get very much time to do anymore but still love.  I own and opperate a catfishing guide service here at home and stay pretty busy most of the year until winter.  I have been reading posts on here for several days and it has helped me shorten the learning curve immensely.  The information on here is extremely helpful and I thank you for the information that you all share so freely.  I will be coming into Christchurch the 3rd and leaving the 11th, I haven't yet firmed up a travel plan or an area that I will call home for the 9 days that I am there but have a few books on order and hope they will help me make a decission from all of the tough choices.  I am sure once I have done all of the reading I will have many questions but for now I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.  Here are some pics of me, my clients and some fish.

My biggest trout on fly from Branson MO
Also like to mention I am a big cpr (catch photo release) person and all fish in these photos were released.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Steve Search for posts by this member.

Group: Administrator
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,21:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the forum Ryan, those are huge mothers, and a pretty big trout to. You'll love it down here, Decembers a good time to be here, not too busy then

--------------
Steve Gerard
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011,00:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Steve!  I am really looking forward to getting over there and seeing in person what I have been dreaming about for so many years.  The catfishing is a lot of fun and is definately my main source of fishing but when I get some time off I am usually somewhere trying to fool a trout with a fly.  
I recieved my first book today and it is John Kent and Patti Magnano Masen's New Zealand's Top trout fishing waters.  It has some good info but I am hoping to get Kent's South Island book before I leave.  
Still have a lot to do to get myself ready and hopefully by next week I will have an area picked out.  That seems to be the hardest part of the whole thing is picking an area from all of the choices.  Wish i had a month over there but I will take what I can get.
 Post Number: 4
MLayden Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011,07:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My only suggestion is to be flexible when you pick a place. If you arrive and the area you had chosen is in flood conditions, or near drought, and you don't have any backup plans it can be hard. Have a few loose plans and base that off the weather at the time when you arrive! Learned that the hard way when I came over and spent some time in NZ last year.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011,11:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks MLayden, that sounds like some good advice learned the hard way.  I will definately include some back up plans now.  My main plan as such is to just find an area with a good mix of waters and hire a guide for the first day or two.  Then pick his or her brain on areas to hike and waters to try durring certain conditions and go with the flow as it were.  I will most likely be camping in a tent in some areas where it is allowed after my guided trip and trying to fish as far back as I can get myself.
 Post Number: 6
iank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011,12:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The south island has a mountain range running North South and as a generalisation the weather is usually good on one side of the range , and not so good on the other side. That is why you need the flexibility to move to the other side of the Alps if the weather is bad. Some places to base yoursel might include : Twizel , Reefton, Hokitika, Murchison/Nelson , Queenstown/Arrowtown. Good fishing at that time of the year but can be very windy .
cheers
Ian K

--------------
iank
 Post Number: 7
Chris Dore Search for posts by this member.
Play hard!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011,16:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pick one area and focus your time there- get to learn it, the local rivers and you will catch more fish than if you race from river to river across the country every day. My advice anyways.

--------------
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
fraser hocks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011,18:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wise words Chris.

So many people come over and want to fish the more famous rivers, so shoot from one to the next. Most spend so little time on each river learning its ways and therefore don’t catch many fish.  Sure they can tick the list off of the rivers they have wanted to visit, but have they really experienced any of them?

Still a single lifetime is never enough time to experience all the rivers of NZ.   So much wonderful water, so little time!

--------------
The best things in life, arnt things.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2011,11:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great advice guys, I really appreciate it.  Two of those areas listed were at the top of my list so that should help me narrow it down even further.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2011,22:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting everything packed up and leaving tomorrow night.  Headed to Sydney for a few days and should get to Christchurch on the 2nd now.  I'm sitting here packing and was wondering if I should bring my waders?  I bought new boots with rubber soles but am not sure if the waders are needed.  Looks like I will be headed south to meet up with my uncles buddy who owns a hunting preserve in Timaru.  He was kind enough to offer a couple days fishing with me and showing me the ropes.  I am planning on stopping by Steve's shop now and hopefully get to meet him.  I also talked with Tony from Overland and he is really helpfull with planning a trip.  I am looking forward to meeting him as well.  Thank you all for the great advice and hopefully I will have some pictures to share of a fish or two when I get back.
14 replies since Nov. 16 2011,11:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Coming to SI Dec 3rd
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code